The site visitor was charming on the phone, calling before 6 am to ask if she paid us a "rush" fee, could we get a custom quilt started and finished for her in a week.
It wasn't that we didn't want to help but making a custom double wedding ring quilt, one of the hardest patchwork quilt designs, in a week is just not possible. It takes an average of 4 specialists to make one quilt, and we get them made in as little as 3 months - less if the quilt is simpler. "So how come I read some people can make a quilt in a week" she persisted. If the quilt is a simple enough pattern - large fabric blocks, for example, it's conceivable a quilt can be finished in a week but this was not the kind of quilt the caller said she wanted. Bluebird Gardens custom quilts, as most quilts do, go through at least 8 steps in the process of getting made:
- Finalizing details including quilt size, design, fabric colors, getting photos to be used on photo memory quilts, and final price, including a deposit.
- Quilt materials get laid out and photographed for a final look prior to starting.
- Quilt pieces are cut and sewn together to make the quilt top.
- Pieced quilt top gets embroidered.
- Quilt top is quilted.
- Quilt top is "bound" to finish edges.
- Quilt label and any other embellishments are adde
- Quilt is photographed and wrapped for shipping.
- Finished quilt is shipped usually two-day priority mail with quilt care guide.
If you're planning on getting a custom quilt made, plan on at least 3 months; in some cases, there's a one year waiting list, sometimes longer, especially if you want the quilt hand quilted.
A good, detailed custom handmade quilt takes a little time to make, and from the comments we get, is well worth the wait.